It’s easy to run out of warehouse storage, especially during busy sales periods. And while you need to have enough products to meet the coming demand, you can’t just snap your fingers and expand the structure of your warehouse. So, how do you increase storage capacity in a warehouse when you can’t add more physical space? There’s a simple solution – narrowing your aisles.
How Narrow Aisles Can Maximize Warehouse Space Utilization
Narrow aisle racking allows warehouses to store more goods per square foot compared to traditional storage layouts. But how do you implement this solution to ensure the most benefits? Typically, warehouses that transition to narrow aisle racking will decrease the width of their aisles while also opting for racking that utilizes more vertical space.
In traditional warehouses, aisles are spaced at least 12 feet apart to accommodate standard forklifts and other machinery. However, with narrow aisle racking systems, aisles can be between six and 10 feet wide. While this may seem like a small change, it can have significant benefits for your warehouse, even doubling your storage space in some cases. Essentially, by decreasing your aisle space, you can fit more racks (and even more products).
Narrow Aisle Equipment for Warehouses
When decreasing the width of your warehouse’s aisles, you’ll need to invest in specialized equipment that can fit through tighter spaces. Luckily, many modern warehouse solutions have been remodeled to accommodate for this. The most common narrow aisle warehouse equipment includes:
- Narrow Aisle Forklifts
- Narrow Aisle Reach Trucks
- Narrow Aisle Order Pickers
The Benefits of Narrow Aisle Racking
Beyond increasing your storage space, narrow aisle racking systems have a variety of other valuable benefits, including:
- Selectivity – With a narrow aisle racking system, you’ll have access to every pallet you store. This can help you increase your pick times and enhance your overall efficiency.
- Customizability – Narrow aisle racking comes in a variety of different set-ups to fit your needs and specifications. Plus, when you work with A-Lined Handling Systems, we’ll help you build a customized solution for your warehouse.
- Enhanced Safety – Pallets and other items left in aisles can be major safety hazards. Narrow aisle racks mitigate this issue by decreasing available floor space. And with less floor space, the less likely your employees will be to leave stray items lying around.
- Increased Return on Investment (ROI) – Changing your warehouse setup is a significant investment. However, with narrow aisle racking, you can store more products and fulfill more orders, helping you achieve a greater ROI.
Customized Narrow Aisle Solutions from A-Lined Handling Systems
If you’ve run out of space at your facility and are unable to move to a larger building, narrow aisle racking is an effective solution. When you’re ready to make the transition, reach out to A-Lined Handling Systems. We have over 70 years of experience designing and implementing customized material handling systems in a variety of warehouses. No matter what your warehousing needs may be, you can count on our expert team to provide an effective solution.